Saturday 16 June 2012

Week 28

Questions and Observations:
- in this, my 28th week it has finally occurred to me that this MA Drawing exercise I have embarked on is really an enquiry into my own ageing process [and progress]! I am finally starting to see a glimmer in the distance that I can focus on and work toward and reorient , if not my work [ as on reflection I now see it throughout the work] but my understanding of the research and the studio practice. With these understandings I can now begin to slowly push and pull the two together in a more harmonious and supportive fit and perhaps even narrow the enquiry [but to what end?]
 I do think that this heutagogical [and paragogical] journey is surely an exploration of my humanness but I now realized that it is coming from a very age related perspective of humanness, one which I guess is understandable as I too am ageing. This fact I do tend to ignore as I don't feel the ageing ,especially when I am surrounded by young people who seem to accept me as an equal.
 I think this insight will allow me to more openly explore the "age relationship" to and within the art that I am making; directly in the sculptural area and also within the drawing [ although it has been evident in the drawing already without a conscious effort] and the writing about it, and the researching of it.
 Hopefully this will lead to more "intentionality" being shown through my practice, both research and studio.
 I will however, always be making the patterns and drawing the connections!
 I will be trying to change the nature and content of the images on this system of communication to reflect the above.

 Best Bets;
- Drawing is as fundamental to the energy of what makes us human as singing or dancing- John Elkins
- the insights of the final Topology session at the Tate Modern
- the deeper understanding of Photoshop and how to use it in the context of layering [ as a reflection of the constant layering that goes on within ones life but only becomes really evident in later years [ as an aspect of Wisdom?]
 - research specifically on the meanings  of and defining features of Ageing and Retiring and other symbols and signs associated with older age
- research paragogy
- The Relative Impossibility of Imagining Old Age by Someone Young
- The Impossibility of Imagining  [Remembering] Youth by Someone Old
- the process of Active Waiting
- the brain transitions from hardwired to openness in its development, cortical to neocortical

 Check it out:
- the current GV Arts show
- Anya Hurlbert Director of the Institute of Neuroscience @ U of Newcastle
- Semir Zeki Vislab, UCL nueroaethetics
- Daniel Pink- MFA as the new MBA
- Intelligence written by the inventor of the Palmpilot

 Studio Drawing:
- screens, filters and funnels are all involved in processing and consolidating information

No comments:

Post a Comment